At the bottom of this page you will find a section for making practice problems along with the answers. Additionally worksheets and answer keys can also be generated and printed.
- TERMS AND FORMULAS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Commission (C) -- the amount of money a person is paid based on their sales.
- Commission percent (C%) -- the commission percent.
- Sales (S) -- the amount of sales the commission is paid on.
- Earnings is the sum of someone's regular pay (P) and their commission.
- C = C%•S ---- Commission = Commission% • Sales
- E = P + C ---- Earnings = Regular Pay + Commission
- Tax percent (T%) -- the tax percent or tax rate paid on a purchase.
- Tax (T) -- the amount of money payed in tax on a purchase.
- Purchase (P) -- the amount of money payed for a purchase.
- Total cost (TC) -- the sum of the purchase price and the sales tax.
- T = T% • P ---- Tax = Tax% • Amount of Purchase.
- TC = P + T ---- Total Cost = Price + Tax.
- Change percent (C%) -- the percent of the change.
- Chang amount (C) -- the amount of the change, up or down, positive or negative.
- Starting amount, initial amount, beginning amount (S) -- the amount at the beginning or start.
- Ending amount, final amount (E) -- the amount at the end or when the change is finished.
- C = E - S ---- amount of change = ending amount - starting amount.
- C% = C ÷ S ---- percent of change = change ÷ starting amount.
- C% = (E - S) ÷ S ---- another formula for the percent of change.
These are all "percent of problems". Commission is a percent of the sales, sales tax is a percent on the amount of the purchase, percent increase and percent decrease are both percents of the original or starting amount.
- Commission / Earnings
- Sales Tax / Total Cost
- Percent of Increase / Percent of Decrease
Problem # 1